Sunday, April 4, 2010

Trader Joe's Can Do No Wrong

I don't know what possessed me to buy the hummus. I'd only had hummus once before in my life, but now I'm addicted to Trader Joe’s. How could I ever buy some nasty over-processed bacon & ranch & onion & sour cream dip again? Trader Joe's hummus has ingredients that I actually recognize. It’s so pure, so simple, so delicious. And at $1.99 a tub and a huge box of organic multi-grain crackers for $1.67, that makes for some seriously economical, healthy, and tasty snack time!

Trader Joe’s never ceases to amaze me. It strikes the elusive balance between price (the only thing megamarts are concerned with) and quality (the only thing gourmet marts care about). Trader Joe's is a culinary carnival of delight, a merry-go-round of endless surprises.

We picked up their potato salad yesterday. If there's one thing I hate, it's supermarket potato salad. It's al
ways swimming in enough mayo to keep the Titanic afloat. Trader Joe's, on the other hand, is an actual DISH with a balance of ingredients where one doesn't overtake the other. And the freezer aisle is a wonderland. You’ll swear the frozen Apple Blossom pastries were freshly prepared when you take them out of the oven. The pastry is flaky and the apple slices inside crispy.

I hate Or
eos. Not only do they have an ingredients list long enough to make you cross-eyed, but I just think they taste nasty. Well, into the kitchen walks Grandma Joe, with a box full of Joe-Joes. They’re not Oreo knock-offs, they’re the way Oreos should be. The natural ingredients make for a much more satisfying and guiltless experience. And the vanilla bean bits in the frosting are like a wink from Grandma Joe telling you she cares.

There are a few items that I've purchased at TJ's that didn't quite tickle my fancy. It may just be that I grew up in Argentina so I have certain expectations with my empanadas, but I found the Chicken Empanaditas a bit sandy. And the sparkling blueberry and raspberry drinks are far too bitter for my palate. But the joys far outweigh the disappointments.

Trader Joe's has a 19th century explorers theme that seems gimmicky at first, but every trip really feels like a safari. There are always new products to discover. There are no sales, no phony memberships, just good prices for great products in a fun, friendly environment.
-------------------------------
TJ’s has stores all across the country, and is especially concentrated in California. Unfortunately, some states like my native Utah are still Joeless. But you can demand one on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment